F7 KDE spin

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 12:37:32 UTC 2007

> Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
> > What about putting on the iso everything in comps which is in
> > kde-desktop and the tools in kde-software-development (ie exclude
> > the -devel packages)?
>
> "exclude the -devel packages"? Are you serious? I'd much rather have the
> KDE -devel packages on the ISO(s) than Evolution or Firefox!
>
>         Kevin Kofler

What about doing support ISO(s) for the spin?  For example, you might
have kde-desktop and kde-software-development, (etc, etc) in "F7 KDE CD
1: Desktop". Then, you might have "F7 KDE CD 2: Extra Applications" for
firefox, evolution, etc.  Finally, you might have "F7 KDE CD 3:
Development Libraries" with all the -devel packages.

CD 3 doesn't need to depend on anything in CD 2, so you'd only need all
three CDs if you want to install the extra applications AND the -devel
packages.

I don't know what it would take to make this work, but IIRC, early
RedHat distributions used to do something like this (or maybe it was
just having SRPMS on different CDs).

Jonathan