Fedora Server Spin

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Jan 12 15:39:16 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote :

> okay this is insane. This is a server install. Let's have a single cd of
> almost nothing.
>
> A server install should be @Core, openssh-server, yum and that's pretty
> much it.
>
> Enough to get networking up and nothing else. After that the admin can
> install the components they need for the service the server will provide
> and be done with it.
>
> no apache
> no django
> no rails
> no tftpserver
> no anything
>
> ultra-clean - as servers should be. Then when you install a service
> package you can enable the service and you know that your server is
> setup properly: Only things you need are enabled.

Sounds pretty much like I'd expect it to be too :-)

I wouldn't mind a few client applications, though, especially the few
which would allow debugging any kind of failure to install packages
using yum. So that would possibly mean an HTTP client to check outgoing
port 80 connectivity, or maybe just the "telnet" client.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2888.fc6
Load : 0.09 0.24 0.31