proposal: mailing list reorganization

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 12 18:58:09 UTC 2007

Ola Thoresen schrieb:
> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> - Be consistent
> I prefer the list name to reflect _who_ the list is for, not _what_ is
> happening on the list.  And I think this should be consistent.
>
> An exception to this rule is '-announce' lists that is ment solely for
> announcements, so no discussions should happen there.
>
> So in my opinion we should have something like
>
> - fedora-users

+1, but renaming fedora-list to fedora-users only makes sense if we move
to a different host.

BTW, do we want to keep the fedora prefix if we really want to switch to
lists.fedoraproject.org (the switch is under discussion and early
evaluation)

> - fedora-devel-users

I only got a few replies, but I tend to fedora-devel-users now again as well

> - fedora-developers

I now prefer fedora-developers over fedora-devel (which I used in my
posted proposal) as well. Someone else suggested the same in private.

> - fedora-maintainers
> - fedora-advisory-board
> - fedora-qa
>
> - fedora-cvs-announce
> - fedora-maintainers-announce
>
> "fedora-maintainers" is my suggestion for the list you have named
> "fedora-project", as I think it is less chance that it will be confused
> with "fedora-users" with that name.

No, maintainers is to confusing IMHO, especially as the current list has
a different purpose than the planed fedora-project list. That's meant
for all contributors (e.g. ambassadors, too, and those are not really
"maintainers")

> "fedora-maintainers-announce" should then be used by the maintainers to
> annouce what they have decided for the future based on the discussions
> on "fedora-maintainers".

Those discussion will will probably held on fedora-development afaics.

> For fedora-hardware/fedora-laptop I think most discussions should happen
> in fedora-devel-users and fedora-users.  If we really want a list for
> hardware discussions it should be named something like
> "fedora-hardware-testers" as I guess most discussion would be about
> hardware that needs testing, not about hardware that is known to work or
> more general "what is best, Nvidia or ATI?"-discussions.

Yeah, maybe.

> I believe this will make it more obvious what lists one would want to
> subscribe to.

Cu
thl