Re: proposal: mailing list reorganization

On 1/13/07, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie develer com> wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thursday 11 January 2007 22:31, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> What's the problem with high-traffic lists?  Today, almost anybody can
>> afford the bandwidth and any half decent MUA can group by threads and
>> apply powerful filters on the fly.
>
> Its not the high-traffic.  Its the amount of noise vs signal.  Lists like LKML
> tend to have a lot of signal in that traffic.  While unfortunately lists like
> fedora-devel have a lot of noise, that drives off the type of people who
> could handle the traffic should it be all signal.  Even still its hard to
> keep up, and READ that much email.

Agreed.  Maybe we could take a more proactive approach towards
off-topic posts, trolls and "what's a grub?" kinds of threads?

The GCC guys are very zelant in keeping the gcc@ list clear of
homework requests and other dumb questions.  And they've even
learnt to do that in a politely way instead of pissing off all
the newbies.

Just grep the gcc list archives for the word "gcc-help".

Maybe an introductory email (with rules) be sent upon subscription to
a list, and standard responses to the type of unwanted message you
described be developed, so that those familiar to the list can just
copy and paste as a response.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud