Fedora Server Spin

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Jan 14 00:11:43 UTC 2007

Sex, 2007-01-12 às 18:32 +0000, David Lutterkort escreveu:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 11:01 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > okay - a convincing argument was made to me for some amount of items for
> > i18n. So non-western-language-speaking folks can use the server install.
>
> Just to be clear: 'some amount of items for i18n' means X, right ? This
> is fine for interactive installs, as long as we don't unnecessarily
> require X (especially server and drivers) for kickstarts and text-mode
> installs.
>
> > However, I think a server install's comps.xml is the perfect place for
> > an @ultra-minimal which is narrow and controlled if only to save the one
> > step a good admin will have to do anyway, which is removing all the
> > unnecessary items from a server install.
>
> And part of this exercise is to give people a good starting point for
> what's unnecessary etc. What's on your hit list for scrubbing server
> installs ?

Do you @redhat.com guys ever had to handle Visa 3DSecure or PCI:DSS
audit programs? I do, at my line of work.

The definition of "base" installs is far more permissive than it should,
and it hasn't really improved.

Far more... my kickstarts specify base and many dozens of -foo package
*unselections*.

I can provide you with one such kickstart (minus ip addresses and some
portions of the post-install scripts) if you want, and there's still
some work to do post-boot that I've been too lazy (in the bad sense) to
find a generic form to include in the kickstart template.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?