plans for long term support releases?

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Wed Jan 17 01:14:46 UTC 2007

Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> writes:

> I've heard mention so many times, that it's a problem, people don't
> see Fedora as a serious distribution for non-desktop/-testing use. I
> think that this is exactly the problem.

I don't think so. It's a problem with their vision, Fedora is a serious
distro for almost any use if you don't need paid support. And if you
need then Fedora alone isn't for you, it's that simple (I'm sure
you can buy support for Fedora, though).

> We want to be bleeding edge,

definitely

> but at the same time it would be nice if an installed version could be
> trusted to not break too often because of updates.

Does it break too often? Not for me. Yes, something sometimes break
but one thing once a ~ year is IMHO acceptable, and I wouldn't expect
lower ratio from any distribution, no vendor can test everything
* everything matrix.

> This is why I suggested an more stable (in terms of changes) LTS spin,
> perhaps, for every 2-4 normal Fedora releases, to provide a Fedora
> that could actually be used in these situations.

So you don't want bleeding edge -> GOTO RHEL, SLES, Fedora legacy,
Debian stable etc.

> I also realize that providing such a release would be
> very much like RHEL and CentOS, but I got the impression that we were
> starting to open up and become more than the fast-rolling testbed
> distro that will be snapshot and stabilized into RHEL,

I never considered Fedora snapshot or a testbed. It's just bleeding
edge - you have newest versions, no need to compile them yourself,
it's just less work. Bugs and breakage? Happens with self-compiled
software, too (perhaps more frequently due to user's errors).

> in which case
> something like this could help us to reach more users/uses for Fedora.

I'm afraid Fedora can't be bleeding edge and not bleeding edge
simultaneously.
--
Krzysztof Halasa