dkms for fc7?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Jan 20 18:00:56 UTC 2007

NM> dkms sort of works for kernel levels out-of-tree drivers bother to
NM> support finding a working combinaison of kernel & out-of-tree
NM> driver versions quickly degenerates (even for big drivers like
NM> nvidia)

You make it sound as if dkms is somehow a loss when compared with
other methods.  The set of kernels that a specific dkms-enabled module
package supports (i.e. many) is still significantly larger than the
set of kernels supported by the other module packaging schemes (one).
Maintainer effort and end-user frustration are reduced.  It is not
possible for them to be eliminated due to the nature of out-of-tree
modules.

As far as I can see, the only downside to dkms modules is the
requirement for a build environment on the client machines.  (Well,
that and the lack of a set of packaging guidelines.  The build
environment requirement kept dkms out of consideration for Fedora
Extras kernel modules, a decision which I still find completely mind
boggling.)

 - J<