Re: Fedora 7 encrypted root partition

On Monday 22 January 2007 06:37am, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Yes. There's a couple more letter swaps (Q<->A, Y->Z->W->Y, M in a
> > different place, so they'd have to type '?'), and the numbers are shifted
> > in the French layout and not in the US one. Still, it's possible to
> > remember the differences.
>
> PS: Oh, and what about something having Anaconda enforce something like:
> "Due to keyboard layout differences, non-alphanumeric characters and the
> letters A, M, Q, W, Y and Z are not allowed in HD passwords."
> Wouldn't that solve most of these issues?

Perhaps...perhaps not.  Either way, it would still be bad security, especially
for encrypting something as large as the hard drive.

Personally, I use a 28 character password for a single encrypted partition
(not whole hard drive) on my notebook and I consider that to be minimal (will
probably make it twice as long next time).
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont gurulabs com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.