Dump (backup utility) in FC-7 will be linked dynamically

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Jan 24 12:37:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 10:59 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AT> I'm going to ship dump backup utility in FC-7 only in
> AT> dynamically linked version (now dump is statically linked).
>
> I suppose the primary reasons for shipping a static dump (and, perhaps
> more importantly, restore) is for emergency situations.  But these
> days I can't imagine many emergency situations that aren't better
> solved by booting the rescue media instead of booting single-user.
> dump and restore are on the rescue media, aren't they?  (Personally I
> wish the initrd could be extended to act as a rescue medium, but I
> imagine that many people would object to that.)

I've actually been considering the possibility of "installing" the
rescue disk onto a small partition at the end of the disk. Much like
some VARs are apparently doing with their windows recovery disks...

But... hell, why not just put it in /boot? That would make it easier to
keep up to date via an RPM. Hmmm.