kernel versionning problem

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Jan 28 19:35:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:04:37PM +0100, Tanguy Eric wrote:
 > Le mardi 23 janvier 2007 à 03:13 +0530, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
 > > Tanguy Eric wrote:
 > > > I sent this message to fedora-list at redhat.com but i had no reaction so i
 > > > try also the devel one because i find this is problem we have to solve
 > > > for the core and extras merge, no ?
 > > >
 > > > I'm tired to have problems with rt2500 driver at each new fedora kernel
 > > > release because the versionning seems to not follow standards :
 > > > http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2965
 > > >
 > > > What do you think about this ?
 > > >
 > > > Someone have similar problems with other modules ?
 > >
 > > This one is going all the way up to Linus since apparently he prefers
 > > the current naming. See
 > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20070111
 > > for the glorious details.
 > >
 > Ok but my problem is not really the kernel name but how a driver can
 > detect correctly the kernel version and eventually the backported patch
 > to compile fine ...

There is no backported patch here.  It's a bug in the rt2500 driver
that caused the same definition to be repeated twice.

The kernel version macro is reporting exactly the same thing in a Fedora
kernel as it would if it were run against a vanilla upstream kernel.org 2.6.19.2 tree.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk