Re: Mail accounts in heterogeneous environments

Trever L. Adams wrote:
Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
- Are there some another solution for the support of "SPA against domain" by Linux MTA/pop/imap servers in Fedora?

Regards,
Dmitry Butskoy

Thank you for asking all of these questions. I am looking at doing a lot of these and have not yet asked these. It seems a lot of software (server) works with much of this, however, I would like to see (hopefully in F8) the ability to do SPA like stuff on everything (client and servers).

After the adding of SPA support for smtp/pop3/imap servers in Fedora, it seems that we shall close to solution of this problem. At least in application level. There are enough number of applications for which NTLM implementation looks useful and which already supports it (Mozilla, Evolutiion, Squid, Apache, etc.)

Particularly, I would like to see the ability to have a REAL cifs implementation. Right now, everything is done as the one who mounted (or --user) the fs. Can we get an AD version of this so that permissions get used and mapped as much as possible to Linux fs permissions and so that the user who requests the operation is the user used, not root, not --user, etc.?

Such a mapping is implemented in Samba's winbind daemon (i.e. SID->uid mapping etc.). The issue is how to report this mapping to kernel level.
Perhaps it is a task for some user-level filesystem over FUSE ?...

~buc