Compiz Fusion?

Hikaru Amano kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 18:07:06 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, Alphonse Van Assche <alcapcom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Gordon a écrit :
> > On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 13:56 +0200, Alphonse Van Assche wrote:
> >> To make this working compiz need to use texture copy instead of
> >> texture_from_pixmap method[1] (because of the fact the fglrx driver
> >> don't have support for texture_from_pixmap). That functionality can be
> >> ported from beryl. Maybe a little patch to compiz must applied too[2]
> >
> > Maybe; but adding hacks to workaround a known-broken piece of
> > proprietary software instead of getting the recent R300/Avivo drivers
> > working properly for AIGLX seems entirely like a step backwards to me...
> >
> Well, I have just saying this to let know that the fglrx driver *cannot*
> be used with AIGLX without the above hacks and at this time we don't
> have Xgl in Fedora so in my eyes a choice must be done. Using XGL as a
> temporary hack or making temporary hacks to let users use compiz with
> AIGLX. If we don't do one of them, then we forgot a big part of the
> Fedora users.

does that mean its working? or is it not? or is it working after patching?

> Yes, ATI driver suck for many reasons proprietary/not intensive
> developed/etc... but many people have such cards and saying that we
> don't care about it is just saying we don't care about a big part of our
> users, I think that's not good for Fedora.

In my place, ATi users are more than NVidia users, its a pain when
trying to promote Fedora to them .. and with fglrx is broken in F7  ..
I have no idea what to answer if they asked ..

> I'm personally sure that many
> people have switch to GNU/Linux these last year just to have a wobbly
> desktop with all these eye candy stuffs. I like eye candy as a awesome
> propaganda piece for the GNU/Linux desktops too.

+1. the Wow factor...

> Just my 2 cent of the day.
> Alphonse

back to topic ,

I just rewrote desktop-effects in .py to make use compizconfig-python ..

attached them together with this email ..

regards
Hikaru
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru