Finding man files: CVS or RPM repositories?

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Jul 3 20:55:04 UTC 2007

Matej Cepl kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 3. heinäkuu 2007
19:16:22):
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:37:36 -0700, Karsten Wade scripst:
> > Fortunately, the point of Ville-Pekka's project is to provide a Wiki
> > (Moin) interface in front of the man pages, then a way to submit changes
> > back up stream.
> >
> > In the end, we'll be inviting the whole Fedora community to help fix man
> > pages, all via the Wiki.
>
> Can we get rid of troff in this process as well, and switch to Docbook
> XML (IIRC Solaris has already done this)? It's 21st century now. ;-)
>
> Matěj

For the first phase of my project, publication of man pages, I'm using only
DocBook XML already. The man pages are converted to DocBook with doclifter
and Moin can display DocBook XML as "normal-looking" wiki pages.

The editing part seems to be somewhat of a problem. The end users should be
able to edit the man pages with wiki markup, since DocBook XML might be a bit
difficult and scary for someone who sees it for the first time.

So far the idea is to convert troff into wiki markup for user editing and then
export DocBook XML from the wiki markup. That XML could then be again
converted to "anything" the upstream projects need. But the point is, how can
we make sure that this troff -> wiki -> docbook -> troff (or something else)
series of conversions doesn't lose any information?

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio
vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi