Re: Rawhide debuginfo package problems 2007-07-16

Le lundi 16 juillet 2007 à 16:42 -0400, Bill Nottingham a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas mailhot laposte net) said:
> > > The problem with that is that someone who runs 'debuginfo-install', even
> > > once, is left with an un-upgradeable system, without manual intervention.
> >
> > well presumably someone who installed debuginfo packages wants them to
> > be useful and not updated separately from the rest of the distro
>
> Sure, but debuginfo-install works *without* changing the repo definition.
> So your upgrade will fail, as the newer version of XYZ won't upgrade because
> the debuginfo repo isn't active.

The usual problem is not debuginfo is not active but it's mirrored
several hours after the main repo so without version-lock debuginfo
packages are not in sync with main packages even though it's active

IMHO if you don't want debuginfo packages to block a debuginfo-uninstall
utility should be provided, letting packages rot this way strikes me as
a particularly bad compromise.

(btw I don't see how debuginfo-install would have worked in the first
place if the debug repo was not active)

--
Nicolas Mailhot