rsyslog is in F8

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 14:04:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 16:01 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 18.07.2007 15:37, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> >> shipping an /etc/init.d/rsyslog with default options set to enabled +
> >> service rsyslog start in %post is not OK ?
> > Starting a service in %post is not in at all okay.  It can cause all
> > sorts of havoc when installing systems, creating live images, init'ing
> > chroots for building in, ...
>
> But shouldn't it be safe to start if the daemon (or the predecessor in
> this case) was running already? That's what other scripts do iirc.

Daemons do a condrestart in their %post, not a start.

I guess you could conceivably do something kind of painful like
  if service sysklogd status == running
     service sysklogd stop
     service rsyslog start

But I'm not 100% certain that the ordering of package install/remove on
an obsolete makes this even feasible

Jeremy