rsyslog is in F8

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 17:14:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 12:14 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 04:06:27PM +0200, Peter Vrabec wrote:
> > Matthew Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey, uh, doesn't changing to using rsyslog.conf remove the major advantage
> > > of rsyslog over syslog-ng?
> > Hmmm, It use rsyslog.conf.
> > cp syslog.conf rsyslog.conf is done, because we want to keep and use
> > previous configuration. Or do you want your custom configuration be
> > dropped and replaced by default one? :-)
>
> For rsyslog to be a drop in replacement, it should use the same config
> file named the same in the same location IMO.

That change also means that anybody who has automated management of
their syslog configuration must modify their scripts to take those
changes into account (and if they run F7 machines at the same time, do
some ugly logic)

It would be much gentler if rsyslogd would initially use the exact same
files as sysklogd and let users shuffle things around when they are
ready for that transition.

David