Re: WTF⁈ ShowOnlyIn=GNOME

On 7/20/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz pobox com> wrote:
Christopher Stone wrote:
> Why are tons of apps setting ShowOnlyIn=GNOME; in their .desktop file?
>
> This does not bode well for KDE users.
>
> # grep -i onlyshowin /usr/share/applications/*.desktop|grep -i gnome|wc -l
> 63

You're not catching the kde folder with your grep there.  Try it like
this and maybe your feelings will change:

$ grep -rli 'onlyshowin=kde' /usr/share/applications/ | wc -l
145

$ grep -rli 'onlyshowin=gnome' /usr/share/applications/ | wc -l
56

Oops you are right.  But I still don't understand why all these apps
are classified as show only in KDE/GNOME.  Surely you can run an app
like kate in GNOME, or banshee in KDE.

Can we please rethink this and remove some of these OnlyShowIns?