Re: Fwd: Re: film at 11: kernel update breaks udev.

Douglas McClendon wrote:
Bill Nottingham wrote:
Richard Hughes (hughsient gmail com) said:
On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 00:55 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
Argh.  So why _are_ we doing our own special rules instead
of using the upstream ones ?  This isn't the only time I've
run into something like this with udev.
Our udev is about 100x times slower than upstream...

I find it hard to believe it's 100x slower. I've done testing
of it with most of the not-needed-for-booting rules commented out -
execution time only dropped from ~5 to ~3.5 seconds.

This may be something unrelated (qemu bug?), but I feel I should mention-

When I boot livecds that I've spun with livecd-creator in qemu, the udev step takes a painfully long time to complete, and even just hangs a fair percentage of the time.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? At some point I'll do a little more research and file a proper bug.

-dmc

yes, on my rawhide box ( a P4 3.2Ghz with H/T) when booting I get to the "starting udev:" and it sits there for 2:44 (that is 2 minutes and 44 seconds)!
then continues booting.
HTH
Richard