WTF⁈ ShowOnlyIn=GNOME

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 21:24:54 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 23.07.2007, 21:28 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Underwood:
> On 23/07/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:17:37 -0700
> > "Christopher Stone" <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > kate
> >
> > On a shared system where some users prefer Gnome and some prefer KDE, I
> > don't want to have KDE apps such as kate cluttering up the Gnome
> > users's menu.  Likewise I wouldn't want the KDE user to be cluttered
> > with gnome.
> >
> > As stated before, perhaps what is needed is the tools such as
> > gnome-menu or whatever xfce uses ignore the ShowOnlyIn argument and
> > display them all anyway.
>
> I seem to recall back in the middle ages, that when in Gnome, there
> was a main Menu entry called KDE, which brought a submenu up showing
> the menu of KDE apps you would see in KDE. And vice versa. I think
> this would be a nice thing to have, and might represent a happy medium
> for all sides of this argument.

I don't. It requires the user to know (and care) what a "KDE" or a
"Gnome" is. A user shouldn't have to hunt around two different menus
(which is what this suggestion is) just to find their application.

If they are in Gnome, they get the Gnome stuff, if they are in KDE they
get the KDE stuff. If they know better, they know better.