Plan for tomorrows (20070726) FESCO meeting

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jul 26 15:48:57 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> I tend to say that approach is fine for you, Hans and some other
>> developers that are familiar with kernel-coding as those people have
>> shown to be able to get code upstream and know how to work with
>> upstream.
>
> Yes, although I'd phrase it as "that approach is fine for anyone who
> we'd actually want maintaining kernel code with the 'Fedora' name on
> it".
>
>>  But the code in question IMHO should show potential for a
>> nearby upstream merge before it's being added.
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> But users and packagers want some modules that do not head upstream in
>> the near future -- let's take the lirc kernel-modules as example,
>> where the lirc-upstream afaik is not actively working on getting the
>> code into linus kernel. Nobody else is doing that either. I'd prefer
>> to not have stuff like that in fedora's kernel rpm, as that could soon
>> and in a major maintenance nightmare, which we all want to avoid
>> afaics.
>
> It doesn't become any _less_ of a nightmare just because you ship it
> separately. If we don't want it Fedora's kernel RPM, then we don't want
> it in Fedora at all.

I must say I like this approach, it avoids the whole problem of having to
rebuild kmods all the time and of wether to delay kernel security updates until
all kmods are fixetd etc. I do think however that this might cause some pain
for Dave Jones, whose job already is hard. Maybe we should ask him what he
thinks about this?

Regards,

Hans