Plan for tomorrows (20070726) FESCO meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jul 26 16:02:45 UTC 2007

On 26.07.2007 17:40, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:36 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 26.07.2007 17:26, David Woodhouse wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> [...]
> People can go and implement kmod stuff in their own repositories -- we
> _really_ don't want to be putting the 'Fedora' name on it.
>
> If it's good enough for Fedora, it's good enough for the kernel RPM.
> If not, let them do it elsewhere.

I see your point, nevertheless I think we should have kmods (and other
experimental stuff) in a special testing repo

For me the whole thing is connected to current "target audience"
discussion on FAB.

Fedora is trying to do lots stuff right, even if it's bad for Fedora
(firefox.x86_64 by default, no kmods that don't head upstream, ...).
That actually something I why I like Fedora and that's why I agree with
you in the "don't put the 'Fedora' name on it".

Nevertheless a lot of users and maintainers often fail to understand our
high standards. I'd like to give those users a solution and educate them
while at it. And I want to get the maintainers involved in that testing
ground as they might grow up and soon do other stuff in the project,
which will help us growing.

CU
thl