NOTE: Please publicize any license changes to your packages

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 13:56:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 18:17 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 17:25 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> > > We already _have_ way too much bureaucracy in Fedora.
> >
> > automation != bureaucracy
> Which automation are you referring to?
>
> The merger with Core (==RH) hasn't brought automation, it has caused
> more bureaucracy and further regressions to contributors.

Sorry for the late reply. Talking about the merger, you're drifting off
into a totally different area here that's been discussed to death
already.

Andy was talking about the plan that we should be able to automatically
(== with tools) check licenses of the packages because it would reduce
the burden on the maintainers which should only be in your interest.

It's out of the question that we need to ensure that what we distribute
is properly licensed. Requiring that every package maintainer regularly
checks for license changes in components required by his packages would
be a stupid waste of resources. It's much better that maintainers are
responsible to inform people if the license of one of their packages
(which might be used by other packages) changes.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759