Blog post about package management (aimed at fedora)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:49:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 10:00 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 09:53 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I don't care as much about it working with .deb, or Solaris
> > pkgadd, or whatever. Others may differ, but I wonder if the effort required
> > to coerce all of them to a common API would a) be sanely possible b)
> > leave you with enough of a common API to do anything useful.
>
> The big thing about this is to get package management tools out of the
> distro tools ghetto and into shared upstream territory.

Sure. This is aimed at people who want to "install OpenOffice" rather
than query all the 64bit packages starting with the letter B.

Hardcore stuff is done on the command line with distro tools. Being
notified of a security update and clicking on a button "install in the
background" is all something that should "just work" and be the same for
all distros.

So far the feedback ratio I'm getting is roughly:

80%: I agree! - let's do it
20%: You are on crack, the existing tools work fine

Which is very interesting from a fedora point of view.

Richard.