Re: Package Management Blows Goats (use cases)

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 05:18 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:51:33AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Toby logs into his desktop. A notification area icon with a critical
> > icon appears in the top right and a libnotify popup tells him there are
> > 3 three critical security updates. The libnotify popup has three
>
> Who is Toby, is he authorised to install updates ?
>
> One big problem throughout the Fedora and RHEL code is that nobody has
> been willing to actually distinguish between install types at install
> time. That is what causes the limits on automounting file systems, it is
> what stops us doing Ubuntu type sudo and it is what breaks this.
>
> We need to know if the system is
> 	- User managed
> 	- Centrally managed
> 	- Physical access implies control (typical home PC)
>
> and ask that in a sane fashion

I only see two cases, and neither involves asking.

1) The person at the computer is "responsible" for it
2) Someone else is responsible

The solution is simple - default to 1) for CDs downloaded from the
Fedora website.

For 2), make it convenient for the responsible person can set things up
in whatever paranoid fashion they like - say person at computer has to
stand on one foot and spin around, then swipe their fingerprint and type
four passwords before they can download software.