Blog post about package management (aimed at fedora)

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 21:27:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 08:12 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/29/07, Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> > FWIW OOo debuginfo is about 450 megs, which is rather sucky to force to
> > download on a crash. And neither OOo or firefox are using bug-buddy. In
> > the case of OOo at least the crash info can be re-annotated offline back
> > to source lines, so we don't loose anything by having no debuginfo
> > installed. Though we don't get local variables etc with offline
> > annotation, but we don't have those with the current crash reporter
> > anyway.
>
> I think OOo illustrates that whatever toolized solution to help users
> install debuginfo packages as needed, would need to be smart enough to
> blacklist certain packages that are known not to benefit from the
> debuginfo install.

I think the use case of users who can cope with submitting a bug with
debuginfo are negligible compared to some other use cases. Plus most
stuff will need to pull in library debuginfo deps, even if it's just
glibc*debuginfo* to make sense of things.

Lets not get hung up on the details here but hammer out the use cases
rather than caught into a rathole of setting policy prematurely.

Paul