Automate time zone selection (Was: RFE: use nasa worldwind...)

Robert Relyea rrelyea at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 18:35:46 UTC 2007

Nils Philippsen wrote:

> IMO, to make setting this automatically sensible and reliable, you'd
> have to have some things first:
>
> - a freely available mapping between "position on earth" and the
> corresponding timezone that's kept up to date
> - an attached GPS receiver that can be read from Linux

No need for a gps. If the network is configured...

http://www.networldmap.com/TryIt.htm

Google for 'ip location' for a whole slew of them (each varies in
quality, none got my location, but most were accurate enough to get my
time zone). If it's even 90% correct it will greatly reduce the number
of people who have to manually adjust their timezone).

The question is can we find/create an freely available database so we
can put up our own server.

bob