updates, updates-testing and comps

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jun 1 19:26:53 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
>> 1) There will be no wide audience, even if they have updates-testing
>> enabled they will not automatically install the new packages let alone use
>> it, the only way to get a wide audience is to put it in updates and in
>> comps, so that people can install it through "add/remove software". For the
>> majority of users, if it isn't in comps it doesn't exist, since
>> updates-testing has no comps *, the package doesn't exist and thus will not
>> get tested.
>
> That's just a simple matter of using the comps-f7.xml comps file when
> generating repodata for the Fedora 7 updates.  Then suddenly you have entries
> in add/remove software for things in updates-testing.
>
>> * and if it will, that means yet more work to get a package out
>
> You should be adding the package to comps if it makes sense to have it in
> comps anyway, for each platform you'll build it for.

So lets say I put blobAndConquer, a new package which I've submitted through
bodhi today in comps-f7.xml.in, and that comps gets rebuild from this. Then
yes, people with updates-testing enabled will be able to install it, but people
without updates-testing enabled, will see it to and get an error that it isn't
available when trying to install it. Not very pretty if you ask me.

Regards.

Hans