Re: Feature idea: network based livecd installer

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 12:14 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Inspired by Jeff's post -
>
> I'm really impressed with the install speed of the LiveCD installer.
> What I'd like to be able to do is to essentially do the same thing over
> the network - pxeboot into an environment that can pull the LiveCD image
> of the network and install onto the local harddrive.  I really haven't
> had a chance to look closely at what's involved though.  Seem possible?

That's indeed the plan; see my Live CD presentation I gave at the RH
summit for some future features we want to add

 http://people.redhat.com/davidz/Summit07_livecd_davidz.pdf

which includes this.

Note I'm not working actively on the Live CD tools right now so Jeremy
probably knows better when that feature is going to land; it shouldn't
be more than a nights or two work to get something up and running; it's
basically just adding some network drivers and user-mode bits (dhcp
client etc.) to the (pretty flexible) initramfs that the live cd uses.

       David