Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

jesusr at redhat.com jesusr at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 21:51:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:13:03PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 17:03 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > If you're referring to migrating Windows users, even they realize there
> > is more than one program to accomplish the same task.  Think of AIM,
> > Trillian, ICQ, blah blah blah.  Or McAfee vs. Symantec.  Or IE vs.
> > Firefox.  Hell, even Microsoft doesn't label IE as "Web browser" (which
> > is another bogosity we do but one thing at a time).

Personally, I think listing the name of the application is "too Windowish".
I really like the menu item to be generic, i.e. "IRC client", "Web browser",
etc.  That should be for the default applications which I should be able
to change with the Preferred applications applet.

Subsequent installed apps should just be listed as the application name. So
if I have Epiphany, Firefox and Konqueror with Firefox as my default, I should
see Epiphany and Konqueror in the list but not Firefox.

Just my 2 cents.

jesus m. rodriguez     | jesusr at redhat.com
sr. software engineer  | irc: zeus
red hat network        | 919.754.4413 x44413