Re: Fedora 8 Schedule

Le vendredi 01 juin 2007 à 17:07 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 02:33 +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:58:07PM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > > I hear KDE 4.1 is aimed at being a 6 month release, this would then mean
> > > we align nicely for a F9 with KDE4 and GNOME 2.22. That would accomplice
> > > the goal of adjusting the schedule which was aimed for rather nicely..
> > > provided neither projects slips their release date.
> > Why does the KDE spin have to be released at the same time as the general
> > GNOME-oriented release?
>
> The reason is that the distro as a whole has a release at that time, not
> just The GNOME spin or KDE spin, Server Spin, or etc.

Also there's no way packagers would accept to freeze fedora-devel twice
at a month interval to accommodate a spin on a different schedule. So
you'd have the choice of starting from a month-old devel fork (which is
1/6th of a typical release cycle, and getting stale) or try to
restabilize devel alone (devel breaks very fast after a release because
everyone is fed up with waiting and pushes his pet unstable feature as
soon as it's unfrozen)

--
Nicolas Mailhot