Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 2 10:46:27 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Don't you fear that it would drive away reviewers?
>> I does raise the bar a bit on the reviewers. I fear more that we are
>> driving away users by the mentality around pushing packaging and waiting
>> for bug reports to arrive that the package is basically broken.  If we
>> continue along that path more we won't be left with much users.
>
> You're pushing at the wrong side.
>
> That FESCO has neglected to pursue some important goals [of the past] is
> no secret.

I am not sure assigning blame is going to be useful in changing
anything.  It is a fact that we could do better in our QA processes
without directly involving FESCo.

The community has lost control over what used to be a
> community-driven Fedora Extras. The new updates system has been advertised
> for many months as offering QA features, such as a repoclosure that would
> prevent broken dependencies from entering the repo

Fedora Extras had a rolling updates model which allows more freedom for
package maintainers but it is inconsistent with what was Fedora Core and
due to the differences in infrastructure and policies there wasn't a
good model on the whole. There has been a lot of work merging the repos
and the setting up the new update system and very few people are
contributing but I do see improvements being made.

Rahul