Re: The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Le samedi 02 juin 2007 à 19:42 +0200, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 07:21:22PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >
> > 2. Merging means Core packages have their say on Extras just like Extras
> > packagers have their say on Core. That's how merges work. Original
> > control is diluted in exchange of a broader reach.
>
> The issue is not there. The issue is more an issue of methods. There was
> no discussion in advance

There was

> and no consideration of how to limit the impact on packager work.

Again the infrastructure team deserves more credit than you give it.

At some point you have to ship and do fine-tuning later. With perfect
hindsight better questions would have been asked, but with perfect
hindsight people wouldn't have had to ask them in the first place, and
that F7 happened is testament the delivered infrastructure/process does
not fall too far of the mark.

The problems are obvious now because we have something (tools+processes)
to play with, and that's loads more we'd have if people had discussed it
half a year more.

--
Nicolas Mailhot