The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Jun 3 13:10:38 UTC 2007

On Sunday 03 June 2007 05:32:40 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Of course, but the right way to handle that is not by coming in the way
> of those who really know better, but by educating those who think they
> know better.

History has proven to me that this is a losing battle.  There is always
somebody or some group of somebodies that "just didn't notice" that there was
a freeze on, or "just didn't think" that their change would disrupt large
sets of packages.

Look, I don't even come close to thinking that the workflow we used for Fedora
7 freeze was ideal.  Far from it.  I stated as much when I posted about it.
However it was a workflow that many current maintainers (former Core ones)
were familiar with, and one that I was confident would allow Fedora 7 to be
released without too much trouble.  Now I'm more than willing to discuss new
and better ways of managing freezes with these new tools at our disposal.  By
no means is the Fedora 7 way the way of the future.  Lets have a series of
rel-eng meetings with anybody who wants to come along to discuss better ways
of handling freezes, and report our proposals to FESCO for ratification.  We
meet every Monday.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora