Re: Why isn't emacs installed by default

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 12:47:43PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> vi is mostly safe - it's small and has discovered gtk.
> emacs is going the way of the dodo because it targets 1995-ish
> desktops, and we've not been shipping those for quite a long time. At

Are you sure? Which desktops are these? It's obvious that those desktops
and the corresponding users are not the primary target of fedora, but
there is currently a rather diverse offer of desktop in fedora since
there, is at least:
mwm fvwm icewm fluxbox WindowMaker twm
and certainly others. None of them are in the default spin, indeed, and
I am certainly not saying that they have an important role in the whole
picture and in the innovations, some features are lagging (like
automounting, currently, for example), but they are here and it seems to
me that, on the contrary, their covering is improving.

--
Pat