Why isn't emacs installed by default

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 14:59:21 UTC 2007

>> > 2. depends on a lot of stuff that must be kept working and
>> configured
>> > properly just for it.
>>
>> OK, this closer to a sensible argument.  What are these things?

Nicolas, I notice you didn't answer the most relevant question in
Andrew's note -- what are these things that must be kept working just
for Emacs?  I read through your list and some of it seems reasonable
(Emacs has its own accessibility approach, AIUI -- not my area), but
some doesn't (print infrastructure?  I think Emacs forks lpr or
whatever).

That asked (again), I don't see what the big deal is.  Is somebody
proposing dropping Emacs or something like that?  Do most developers
actually care what is in the default install?  I already have to yum
install a ton of things to get a usable system; adding Emacs to that
list will be an annoyance, but only a minor one.

Tom