Why isn't emacs installed by default

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:34:28 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> Really?  What are your numbers and how did you come to them?  Because
> every linux user I know uses *emacs or vi* except for one that uses
> nedit.

Rather than fall into the pointless trap of "everyone I personally
know' uses application foo" .... here are some suggestive numbers from
mugshot.

Mugshot does include Emacs in its application stats as a text editor.
Searching for 'text editor' in mugshot's application db and you get
this:
gedit sits at #6 with 1,863 mugshot users
emacs sits at #21 with 482
vim sits at #30 with 327
kate sits at #70 with 80
inkscape sits at #40 with 191

and for comparison the leading IDE is eclipse is #25 with 439
and open office writer sits at #15 with 1,023

-jef"I use emacs, but I do not want to see it in the default install"spaleta