F7 - CPU fan at full speed after resume

I'm running Fedora 7 on my Acer TravelMate 6413 notebook. If I suspend to RAM and then resume immediately everything is fine, but if I leave it suspended for a while (over night, for example) then when it resumes the CPU fan comes on at full speed and stays on indefinately. Hibernating and then resuming returns the fan to it's correct behaviour.

After a bit of Googling I have tried kicking the fan's ACPI driver by doing:
  echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/fan/FAN0/state
  echo -n 0 >/proc/acpi/fan/FAN0/state

The first "echo" line, setting it to D3, produces an error:
  -bash: echo: write error: Exec format error

However, despite the error, dmesg shows:
  ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN0] to D3
  ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN0] to D3

No error is generated for the second "echo" line, setting it to D0, and nothing is logged in dmesg. In any case, it seems to have no effect on the fan's behaviour.

Is there anything I can do to kick the fan back into it's correct (temperature controlled) behaviour?

--

 - Steve
   xmpp:steve nexusuk org   sip:steve nexusuk org   http://www.nexusuk.org/