Why isn't emacs installed by default

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jun 4 17:58:42 UTC 2007

Le lundi 04 juin 2007 à 08:59 -0600, Tom Tromey a écrit :

> >> configured
> >>
> >> OK, this closer to a sensible argument.  What are these things?
>
> Nicolas, I notice you didn't answer the most relevant question in
> Andrew's note -- what are these things that must be kept working just
> for Emacs?

Legacy font system is a big one. Emacs is about its last big user, and
compounds the problem with special needs (not just plain "Fixed" like
about every other straggler)
(That may have changed, I haven't run emacs in ages)

> I read through your list and some of it seems reasonable
> (Emacs has its own accessibility approach, AIUI -- not my area), but
> some doesn't (print infrastructure?  I think Emacs forks lpr or
> whatever).

And we've been moving away from lpr since lpr-ng was sidelined in favour
of cups (lpr-ng was a terrific lpr system compared to the cups
emulation. cups was chosen because lpr was not the target)

> That asked (again), I don't see what the big deal is.  Is somebody
> proposing dropping Emacs or something like that?

Someone objected to emacs not being in the defaults anymore. I just
explained the process by which an app gets self-sidelined. And then
emacs people piled more questions, like I had to justify a process that
was happening without any special intervention of mine. You're right,
and I'll stop responding now.

--
Nicolas Mailhot