Re: Eliminating static binaries (Was: Unwanted RPM dependencies)

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:51:46PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:52:41PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

- /sbin/ldconfig (yes, even this one!)
I am not sure, but wouldn't that be a bit dangerous? What would be the
gains?
Space.  And speed.

Are you sure? For little apps, linking dynamically leads to a loss in
performance in both size and speed.

That's a very questionable statement, and may only be true under very unusual conditions (such as: the linked dyn libraries are never shared with other executables). I don't see how the run-time execution could technically be slower, outside of the start-up time.