Future SCM Technology

It's F7+5 and F8T1-57 (yes, less than two months until F8T1 under the
current schedule[1]).  If we are going to replace CVS[2] with another
SCM for hosting the Fedora Package Repository we need to get started
now!  And to get things started, we need to discuss what kinds of
workflow we want our new SCM to support.

Here's a list of things to think about (thanks to Jeremy Katz):
* How do we make it easier for a maintainer to rebase their package to a
newer upstream?
* How do we make it easier for a maintainer to develop, test, and create
a patch to fix a problem that's being experienced in Fedora?
* How do we make it easy to send these patches to the upstream of the
project being worked on?
* How do we enable downstreams to take our bits, track them and make
changes as they need/want?
* How do we better enable a user who has a problem with something we
ship to be able to fix it themselves and get the fix back to us?

Jeff

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/Schedule
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CvsAccess