Re: fedora for ARM

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
I would fully agree with the sentiment that cross-compiling the entire
distro as _the_ standard way of maintaining the arch package repository
is not a realistic scenario and will likely never be.  Preferably, I
would like to just keep doing this entirely natively.

I hesitate to say never, prefering to invoke the forseeable future. Wherever native builds are a viable option, it makes sense to use them. Wherever cross builds are a viable option, it makes sense to use them.

It appears a lot less effort to maintain a set of patches to make some
limited subset of packages (say, 300 packages) cross-compilable,
though.  In some cases, we'll have to do this anyway.

Indeed- if you can simply cross build the packages at the top of the dependency tree (kernel, libc, coreutils, init, bash/sh), you are in much better shape. What's more, they are typically very cross friendly.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc redhat com