fedora for ARM

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 16:39:54 UTC 2007

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> I would fully agree with the sentiment that cross-compiling the entire
> distro as _the_ standard way of maintaining the arch package repository
> is not a realistic scenario and will likely never be.  Preferably, I
> would like to just keep doing this entirely natively.

I hesitate to say never, prefering to invoke the forseeable future.
Wherever native builds are a viable option, it makes sense to use them.
  Wherever cross builds are a viable option, it makes sense to use them.

> It appears a lot less effort to maintain a set of patches to make some
> limited subset of packages (say, 300 packages) cross-compilable,
> though.  In some cases, we'll have to do this anyway.

Indeed- if you can simply cross build the packages at the top of the
dependency tree (kernel, libc, coreutils, init, bash/sh), you are in
much better shape.  What's more, they are typically very cross friendly.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com