Re: Fedora 8 ideas

On 6/7/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas mailhot laposte net> wrote:
Le jeudi 07 juin 2007 à 12:20 -0500, Arthur Pemberton a écrit :
> On 6/7/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas mailhot laposte net> wrote:

> > > A number of dvb and v4l devices also require firmware that we don't
> > > ship.
> >
> > And alsa devices
> >
> > But that's because historically we've never shipped firmware, not
> > because anyone looked hard recently and decided we could not ship
> > them.
> >
> > Please try to get the firmware in-distro before focusing on a download
> > helper.

> I have felt the pain of no firmware installed for an alsa device. 2-3
> hours wasted. It would have been nice if I at least knew firmware was
> needed.

Alsa is mostly a case of "someone needs to poke RH Legal to check the
alsa firmware dumps can be packaged (and if not go ask the hadrware
vendors for permission)"

After 2hrs trying to figure out why the device didn't work, it took me
an hour to find the firmware at the bottom of the page.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud