x86_64 nightmare on F7

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Jun 7 22:12:37 UTC 2007

I have to admit that I'm net in the multilib universe. I just installed
F7 x86_64 on my brand new laptop and there are strange things happening.
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I think there's something seriously wrong
with package management.

$ rpm -qa --qf %{NAME}\\n | sort | uniq -d | wc
        259     259     2634

So 259 of 1364 Packages are installed in both versions, i386 and x86_64.
And it's not just libraries or devel packages. For example, I have
firefox installed twice, and both packages have conflicting files.

$ rpm -qf --qf %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH}\\n
/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
firefox-2.0.0.4-2.fc7-x86_64
firefox-2.0.0.4-2.fc7-i386

Another example: With "yum groupinstall XFCE" I get a lot of i386
packages too. I can remove the i386 ones, but this will break the x86_64
versions. rpm -V tells me that not much of the package is left, in most
cases only the contents of /usr/lib64 is still there. So I tried to
reinstall the i386 Version, just to see what happens. But this time yum
correctly prevents me from doing this and shows a file conflict.

Please take a look at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=156403
and correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO package management on multilib
systems is completely broken ATM.

Ideas?
Christoph