Eliminating static binaries (Was: Unwanted RPM dependencies)

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jun 7 23:36:00 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Jeu 7 juin 2007 09:16, Bernardo Innocenti a écrit :
>> but the point is still valid: Linux has become somewhat bloated
>> over time.
>
> And it will become unbloated by converging on a new common set of core
> dynamic libraries, and optimizing them (like pango & qt people are
> doing for harfbuzz, like popler did before, etc)

I didn't know about Harfbuzz, good to see somone is hard
working on the desktop convergence!

> Static linking is not the solution. Experience shows it only leads to
> many forks of the same code that bloat memory usage and increase
> maintenance.

I totally agree.  Did I give the impression of thinking otherwise?

By the way, Apple banned static linking with libc and other system
libraries in OSX a long time ago.  The rationale is somewhere in
their knowledge base and it's pretty straightforward.  So I think
we should follow up and do the same on Linux too.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/