Re: RFR: GIT Package VCS

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 23:48 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> If you actually look at the information you want published (not your
> local developer undo/redo queue), is it so much different from what
> we're already publishing today ? Exploded view may make the changes
> easier to grasp, but do we *actually* need any datapoint apart from each
> package build state published?

Depending on the changes made between releases forward porting a patch
may be made much easier by having the entire history available to you
when you re-base a patch, especially if there has been a lot of code
reorganization.  I can recall several instances where I've been trying
to update an old patch and it's been a lot easier (in some cases
trivial) to check out a old copy of the upstream code from their SCM
apply the patch and then merge up to the present.  Without doing
something like that I likely would have had to hand-apply much of those
patches.

Jeff