Re: Reply-To header munging for fedora-devel-list@

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 03:04:07PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> >But cross-posting is discouraged anyway.
>
> Discouraged by whom?  If I post with a subject such as
> "kernel with selinux enabled slows down OpenGL", I'd
> cross-post to all relevant lists: fedora-devel@,
> linux-kernel@, selinux@, mesa3d-dev@ and dri

Crossposting to 5 lists? Mailman would probably already hold back your
post due to excessive number of recipients.

> People subscribed to these lists are likely to be interested.
> If they're not, they will just skip the thread after reading
> the subject.
>
> Let's not talk about bandwidth issues, please.  I can
> comfortably read 10-20 high-traffic lists even with my
> slow connection at home.  And web services such as gmame
> and gmail make it easy even from hand-helds.

Bandwidth, no, but if you cross-post the same question on 5 lists, or
even just pose the same question with single posts w/o waiting for
someone to answer the question you are wasting people on this. You
will probably spawn 5 different threads on each list for the same
topic, and people will feel fooled.

> >>The spam argument is easily dismissed once you notice that
> >>linux-kernel@ is almost 100% spam free despite being open.
> >
> >http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/8/146
>
> I stand corrected.  (but see the replies: people /like/ open
> lists for the same reasons I gave)

Bug reports from non-subscribers? We have bugzilla.redhat.com for bug
reports.

> I can't see the archives without subscribing first.  But what
> kind of filtering did RedHat put in front of their listserver?

I don't know.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net