Re: Future SCM Technology

On Sunday 10 June 2007 00:20:05 Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> git for one doesn't "preserve recorded history for a file", and can't do
> it by fundamental design (it just records snapshots after changes). It
> has tools that help in finding out where the stuff you see (presumably)
> came from.

I talked with the git folks a bit about this.  They /do/ track some path
information.  I can do a 'git log <filename>' and only see commits that
effect that path.  When a file is moved, there is no reason a path table
couldn't be updated with the new path location, so that if I do 'git log
<newname>' it would know to search for <oldname> too.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora