The updates firehose

Neil Thompson abraxis at telkomsa.net
Sun Jun 10 14:43:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 09:36:59AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Ignoring the abusive language in the above, I think what we need is not

Hardly abusive, although I will admit to being somewhat intemperate - I'm
just sick and tired of the midset which attempts to introduce policies and
rules to cover every conceivable (and some not even) eventuality.

> so much rules about what kind of updates are allowed, but a bit more
> finegrained classification of updates, plus easy ways to filter by this
> classification on the client side, and I mean some easy to use ui in
> pup/pirut, not some manually installable and configurable yum plugin.

Agreed - that's much more the thing.

> The current classification we have is just
> "bugfix - enhancement - security". It would be nice add some more
> categories to this, like "cosmetic" (for minor packaging cleanups like
> directory ownership handling), and some way to differentiate by
> severity.

This will pretty much have to be driven by the maintainer, though, as she's
the only person who will have enough knowledge about the package to make those
kind of distinctions.  You really don't want to introduce any more approval-type
steps into the process - there'll be even more push-back at that.

--
Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

THEOREM: VI is perfect.
PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6.  The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are
1, 2, and 3. 1+2+3 = 6.  So 6 is a perfect number.  Therefore, VI is perfect.
QED
                                                    -- Arthur Tateishi