Re: The updates firehose

Jesse Keating wrote:
Anybody else think we're issuing entirely /way/ too many updates? We've had 138 "stable" updates, and 177 current "testing" updates. If all those were to go stable, we're talking over 300 updates, in just over a week.

Seriously. We're drowning our users in updates. Are all of them really necessary? I feel like we've got this culture of update whatever/whenever coming from Extras where it was just fire and forget. While that might be fun for the maintainer, is it fun for the user? Is it fun for the user with a slow connection?

Keep in mind that updates now encompass Core/Extras and *new* added packages. A better question would be to ask, of the packages users actually have INSTALLED are updates really churning faster now than before? I would expect no if you look at Core + Extras of previous releases.

Presto would be the next important step to formalize to make the updating process more tolerable to users.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com